Early last week I had the opportunity to meet with my functional medicine nutritionist again to review my diet and plan for my upcoming detox. To recap, I’ll be detoxing for four weeks in anticipation of heavy metals testing so my doctor has all of the results by my next appointment (recently rescheduled to March 1).
In anticipation of the detox, and also because I’ve been on a super restrictive diet for almost a year, we decided to reincorporate a few foods and advance to the “Detox Nutrition Plan.” The basic changes are summarized below:
- Add oranges and bananas to my list of fruits to select from, but still keep to 2 servings per day
- Reintroduce black beans, kidney beans, lentils, butternut squash, and acorn squash using food reintroduction process.
- Work up to 1-2 servings per day of legumes, starchy vegetables, and/or gluten-free grains (2 servings across food groups total, not of each)
- Incorporate up to 1 tablespoon of added sugar per day (primarily: dates, maple syrup, raw honey)
- Continue avoiding fermented foods
I also really need to figure out the lack of water problem. She thinks it is contributing to my hunger levels and emphasized the importance of hydration during detox, so I need to have a glass water bottle attached to my person at all times.
I have to (absolutely HAVE TO) order my detox drugs this week, so I’ll provide a more detailed explanation of the process as soon as I understand it better myself.
Have a great week!