Countdown Status: 32 days of elimination/detox diet. I find out tomorrow what the next part of my functional medicine journey looks like!
I have absolutely no idea what happens after tomorrow, but after thinking about the next step for the past 32 days, I’ve come up with three ideas…
- Continue on my current, very-restrictive diet.
- Add in one or more previously restricted food/drink categories: alcohol, caffeine, legumes, grains, sugar, most fruits…
- Review the blood test results that may show exactly what I am sensitive to, and add back in everything else.
I don’t know what I’m hoping for. As I mentioned, I am seeing dramatic improvements in my skin every day. Even my colleagues are starting to mention the change, which is awesome. I think mostly I just want to leave the appointment knowing that we’ve made informed decisions on the next step, not just a guess or maintaining the current diet because no results are in.
Regardless of the next course of action, I also have a few questions that I want to address.
- I’m absolutely exhausted. I’m in the range of 6-8 hours of sleep a night, but I am so incredibly tired all the time. Perhaps I’m missing something from my diet that might help? (Other than mass quantities of caffeine.)
- I’m having a really hard time with the serving limitation on nuts and seeds. Basically, I have to hit one goal for nuts and seeds each day, and another for fats and oils. In the fats and oils category, there are only three actual foods: avocados, unsweetened shredded coconut and olives. So, unless I am preparing a meal that I can insert oil or coconut milk into, there are very few “quick” options. I consider nuts and seeds, however, to be in the “quick” options category, but the serving sizes on nuts and seeds are very, very small. I would like to propose that I can make these two categories somewhat interchangeable (more nuts/seeds = less oils/fats in a day, and vice versa).
- I’m starving recently. I’m hitting my targets for the most part, but I’m hungry all the time, especially at night. Why? I bet it has something to do with my inability to successfully incorporate a lot of fats and oils into my diet. Ha.
- Maybe, just maybe, I can add back in more fruits? I won’t actually ask this question because I am 100% committed to this process, but even if I could eat dates again I would be the happiest person on earth. Just dates. Not even cupcakes. Fingers crossed.
- Finally, I’m looking for general feedback on the stack of food journals I’ve written. I know I keep eating the same foods over and over again and that’s not a stellar choice, but I need some guidance. I feel like if I was helping someone with this process, I would be able to analyze their diet so clearly. But my own diet? I’m having a hard time. Perhaps its the lack of coffee.
So, here’s to hoping for a few more answers tomorrow, and *wishful thinking* a few
cupcakes dates and a big cup of coffee.