Countdown status: 25 days on functional medicine center mandated diet, 8 days until my first follow up nutrition appointment. Fingers still crossed something gets added back into my diet.
But, in all honesty, I think I got over the sugar cravings. It was the craziest thing: one day I could not stop talking about how badly I wanted to eat every sugary food in the world, the next day, I instead became acutely aware of how delicious blueberries are, and sort of forgot about the sugar issue. Just last night I actually thought carrots were sweet. So weird.
My ability to taste food is not the only thing that is changing as a result of this diet. I’ve been reflecting quite a bit on how I am handling the functional medicine process and have a distinct list of things I need to stop, as well as things I need to start, in order to make the most of this experience.
I need to stop:
- I need to stop dwelling on the fact that my colleagues and friends have not commented on the fact that my skin is clearing up. I think it looks dramatically different every single day. I want them to notice so desperately, but I need to stop thinking about it. I am not going through this process for anyone but myself. I am happy with the changes so far, and that’s enough.
- I need to stop eating the same steamed vegetables every day. I know broccoli and cauliflower are easy to prepare, and cauliflower rice is awesome, but when expected to eat 10+ servings of vegetables each day, but I don’t want to grow to dislike these foods.
- As my friend Allison reminded me, I “need to stop looking at pictures of cookies.” It’s not that I seek them out, but delicious pictures of food exist all over social media and they are certainly difficult to ignore. *Perky Sparkley-Toes is her “elf name” – we’re ridiculous
I need to start:
- I need to start being thankful for this process. I am so fortunate that I am spending my time trying to clear up my skin instead of battling cancer, dealing with the loss of a loved one, etc. I am thankful that this is the biggest issue in my life right now.
- I need to start taking my vitamins. I can remember to do 9,000 things at work every day, but I cannot seem to remember to take my vitamins. Ridiculous.
- I need to start completing my food journals every single night. I want to be as detailed as possible in order to get to the root of the issue, and I cannot do that if I’m staring at a blank food journal trying to remember exactly what I ate for breakfast six days ago.
- I need to start figuring out how nutrition is going to play a role in my future career goals. I am learning so much, and I love it. Here’s hoping it works!